I finished sewing the Liz Blouse some days ago. As I sew only a few hours a week, it may take too long to finish a project, especially if it's the first time I do it! After all, in a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give me a 7. I'm not very happy with the result. The fitting is not ok, I think I should have cut size 38 instead of 36 (my bust is 94cm and I'm a 40/42 according to Burda sizing chart, but it's way too big).
I also had some trouble with the collar. I had to make it 4 times! I didn't follow the pattern's instructions, instead I used the tips from another Burdastyle member with the help of a tutorial I found at Sew Mama Sew. But I was not happy with the results, maybe because my lack of experience. I was only a little satisfied after I followed the instructions to attach a collar band on the Shirtmaking book from David P. Coffin. I'm pretty sure after some practice I'll get a much better look for the collar.
Here are some pictures:
|The blouse ready just before I open the buttonholes.|
|Here is a close up in the collar. Not happy with it :(|
|My very first buttonholes, made with my Janome 2008 and its special foot.|
|I cut the center front parts at the bias. Not sure if this was a good idea...|
|This is a very sloppy finishing for the facing. Shame on me!|
|Button and buttonhole. I'll use a smaller stitch next time.|
I regret I used an expensive fabric to make a blouse for the first time. It's also a little boring, I think. Maybe I'll sew this pattern again, in a bigger size and using this method to finish the facing.
I finished the princess and shoulder seams with a flat felted seam and the side seams with a French seam. The arm holes where hemmed as the instructions on the pattern, just folding the fabric twice.
It's an easy blouse to sew, of course you must deal with the collar, the buttonholes and the finishings, what may be a little difficult for novices like me. I think not having sleeves make it even easier.